Facebook's Canvas Ads Draw New Users to Watchfinder's Site
The aim was twofold; while looking to increase brand awareness within a targeted audience, we also sought to bring new and engaged users to the Watchfinder site in line with their wider marketing objective of achieving one million sessions per month across all marketing channels (as tracked in Google Analytics).
Previously Watchfinder had been focusing their efforts on the static image ad format on Facebook, but the ability to tell a story or convey a complex visual message with these ads was slightly limited. Working with the creative team at Watchfinder we started on the canvas ad format as soon as it was made public. The Paid Social team at Merkle then began considering targeting options in line with the aforementioned objectives of achieving maximum reach within a highly relevant and engaged audience of new users. To that end we elected to utilise lookalike audience targeting based on people that had ‘liked’ the Watchfinder Facebook page, with a 10% threshold.
Considering the Canvas is a mobile-only format, and it hasn’t been running as long as other campaigns, the results have been seriously impressive, with the second highest number of clicks to site behind the original campaign (single image and carousel ad formats). The average CPC has also been lowest of all campaigns (£0.24 vs £0.30), which is comparable to their Search CPCs over the same time period (£0.25).
Engagement-wise it is comfortably the top performing format too:
- 549 post likes compared with 170 for carousel ads and 46 for single image (May - July 16).
- 30 shares Vs. 15 for carousel ads, and 0 for single image.
- 308 page likes Vs. 88 for carousel ads.
Based on these results, Watchfinder has already produced a second Canvas to launch in support of their renewed ‘Sell Your Watch’ campaign in August.
Highest number of clicks to site behind the original campaign
Increase in post likes
Increase in shares
Keys to success
- Launched the Canvas interactive mobile ad format on Facebook, a first for both parties
- Built a lookalike audience targeting based on people that had ‘liked’ the Watchfinder Facebook page, with a 10% threshold
- Activated a Paid Search campaign to run alongside the Facebook ads to reach new audiences