Creating a single source of truth for a global healthcare company’s digital assets
A global healthcare company had a Digital Asset Management platform, with all of their digital assets invested in one place. They weren’t able to fully access the data from this platform or make changes to their reporting, and were finding it hard to shift to a more agile and accessible way of working.
There were some reports already built to cover a small subsection of work, but these did not meet the needs of the business, making insights hard to source. The organisation needed help to take their data and make it useable through the creation of a workable structure as an initial step, with potential further work to build on learnings and successes.
Different stakeholder audiences needed to be targeted by the approach, each audience holding a slightly different objective. The first audience was the central leadership teams who are interested in system usage throughout the business; next were the librarians who work on data quality; lastly, the production team who want to ensure that centrally produced content is being adapted by production agencies and teams around the world.
We were brought in on the basis of our strong work on search and web for the client. We began by demonstrating the art of the possible, giving inspiration as to what we could do for the business. This built confidence and allowed us to propose the best way to take the work forwards.
We took an iterative approach in delivery, allowing key stakeholders to constantly feed back on solution delivery. Due to data issues we needed to overcome multiple blockers. As we improved the data and overcame obstacles, we produced increasingly optimal versions of the solution.
Next we defined KPIs. We looked at which of the KPIs we defined already had data available to report upon, and in so doing we established where there were gaps that needed to be overcome. We resolved those KPIs we could and then worked on bringing others online in automated fashion as we were able.
Next, we built a data model and considered what an ideal dashboard would look like for the business. We fed reports back to our client for validation, allowing client colleagues to truly own the solution and shape it to exact stakeholder needs.
We built the dashboards desired by our client, as well as creating the ability to filter the data in our new data model, allowing the users to independently drill down into the data as required. We also connected Power BI to Sharepoint – joining up the data and giving greater linkage and visibility.
Our approach updated the look and feel of BI for the brand – moving them from basic reports and spreadsheets, to being able to graphically see what the insights were, making it instantly engaging and inspiring to interact with.
Lastly, we coached the client to understand how best to work with their data for reporting purposes in the future. We were able to demonstrate the impact of consistency and clarity in data being fed into the system, so the client could go on to follow best practice with the Power BI tool. This training was essential to secure the buy-in of wider non-data-specialist stakeholders to the importance of accuracy etc. in working with Power BI.