Me In Merkle: Boomerangers is a series of interviews that showcase the journey and experiences of those who have come back to Merkle. This week we chatted to Stu Smith, Client Services Business Director at Merkle.
1. Tell us about yourself. Where did you grow up and where do you live now?
I grew up in (Royal) Tunbridge Wells but then moved around the surrounding area after my parents split. I currently live in Brighton having just bought my first house!
2. What was your dream job growing up?
I don’t know what kid dreamt of working, but it certainly wasn’t me.
3. What is your current role at Merkle?
I am a client services business director, part of the CMC team and it’s my job is broadly split into two parts: to look after the overall client relationship and make them look good, to make sure the Merkle team has what they need to do great work.
4. You’re a boomeranger! What drew you back to Merkle?
I joined Merkle Periscopix back in 2018 and loved it, having moved from another agency as I liked the working practices at Merkle – it was a breath of fresh air. About six months into the job my partner was offered a great opportunity overseas so we packed up and left, I had actually only worked at Merkle for 11 months in the end.
When I moved back to the UK I knew that Merkle was top of my list, I interviewed for several different positions at different agencies and luckily the perfect role for me was posted on LinkedIn so I got back in touch.
The main reason for me coming back was and still is the people that work at Merkle, I can count on no hands the people I’ve met here which I didn’t get on with, everyone that I work with day to day are great at their jobs, positive and interesting.
5. Tell us a bit more about your day-to-day
My day is always varied across my accounts, since the demands of each client change week to week so does my role. But on average I will be checking in with the Merkle delivery teams, meeting (or calling) clients to ensure they are happy, working on internal projects, working on requests, and trying my best to learn new things (also finance, always finance).
6. What would your advice be to somebody considering a career in your team at Merkle?
Be passionate about what you want to learn, it doesn’t really matter what it is but everyone at Merkle is an expert at something and that’s what makes working here so interesting.
7. What do you enjoy most about client services? And what do you think future developments will be?
The thing I enjoy most about my role is that its always changing and there are always new challenges being thrown our way
8. What is your greatest accomplishment at Merkle?
Fooling Merkle to hire me twice!
9. What do you love about Merkle’s workplace culture?
Most people are hired from graduate schemes and work their way through the company, very few agencies will have people in the senior leadership team or started at junior levels and worked their way up. It means that the leaders in our business really understand it and know what its like across all levels.
10. Rapid Fire
- What animal would you be and why? Red Panda, they don’t really do much and look like they just chill out all the time
- What are you currently watching on Netflix/Prime? HoT D, LOTR Rings of Power, Brassic
- What’s your guilty pleasure? Booking a gym class early morning then not going
- What is your dream holiday destination? Philippines – Tao boat trip, I’ve been twice and it was still the best holiday I’ve ever been on. Would happily do it again
- Best advice or mantra you live by? Kindness costs nothing