Strategy - Senior Director
Merkle is a leading technology-enabled, data-driven customer experience management (CXM) company. For over 30 years, Fortune 1,000 companies and leading non-profit organizations have partnered with us to build and maximize the value of their customer portfolios.
We are champions for meaningful progress, and we aim to be a force for good—for our people, our clients, the industry, and our society. We keep our people at the center, creating space for growth, understanding, and learning so they can grow. We embed diversity in our mindset, products, and teams to empower an inclusive, equitable, and culturally fluent environment. Building this culture within our teams makes us better collaborators and our clients, driving better outcomes for all. Merkle is an agency of dentsu.
The Customer Strategy Senior Director will join a team of talented and experienced marketers that focus on helping Merkle clients achieve their business goals through deep understanding of their market and customers, Merkle’s capabilities for online and offline marketing and our approach to people-based communications.
The Senior Director operates as a key member of our team helping to ensure that the recommendations we deliver are based on our deep understanding of our client’s business and strategic objectives. You must also show the ability to build strong relationships in order to become a trusted advisor to the client and Merkle account team. This role requires you to be analytical as well as creative in your thought process and have the ability to be nimble in your thinking about client problems.
As a key leader inside on our CXM team your skills and passion for communicating strategy will secure client and cross-functional alignment on the ideas that you present and ensure that the strategy is followed through to execution. You have the demonstrated capability to get others to believe in the ideas that you present, and then follow through on those ideas.
At Merkle “Strategy” means a key idea that is informed, executable and provides results. Those ideas need to be applicable to a variety of client scenarios and must cross any service that is necessary to achieve the client objective. As a Senior Director on the Customer Strategy practice, you must have demonstrated experience in planning that starts with deep knowledge of the audience and markets, and leverages data to drive behavior across media and channels to generate measurable ROI. This role requires the ability to work across multiple of our core vertical markets (Insurance, Financial Services, Non-Profit, Retail, Automotive, Travel, Media and Entertainment, B2B, High Tech)
To be successful in this position must have a strong passion for problem solving, and a deep understanding of how businesses, brands and customers interact, with an advanced understanding of the rapidly evolving role that data and technology play in this relationship. You must possess the ability to identify business growth opportunities and develop strategic recommendations to support the growth of client relationships.
- Lead the development, delivery and close-loop results of strategic of strategic omni-channel marketing plans.
- Act as an industry and audience subject matter expert, and be able to develop data-driven insights that translate into new marketing strategies for the client; particularly in the areas of digital marketing and CRM.
- Show a strong understanding of differences in marketing to customers in different verticals and environments.
- Develop trusted, long-term relationships with key client contacts and executives.
- Ensure meaningful client value is delivered through a mix of best-practice solutions, strategic thinking, presentation development, value articulation, and sound results related to marketing objectives
- Collaborate in a matrix-ed environment across service lines (account management, creative, analytics, etc.), and partner agencies guide the application of marketing strategy to executable plans
- Interpret key data points and derive actionable insights that communicate the value and impact of our approach and strategy on the client’s business
- Consult and partner with our clients to support organizational, process, and operating model transformation
- Facilitate and drive client meetings and discussions, defining project objectives and approach, managing day to day delivery efforts.
- Present to and influence C-suite / senior client stakeholders on our strategic recommendations and deliverables
- Leverage latest marketing trends, technology solutions, and competitive insights to inform and shape our consulting recommendations and deliverables
- Collaborate and develop relationships with internal Merkle teams and Dentsu partner agencies to understand the feasibility of cross-channel recommendations, deliver holistic solutions, and deepen our relationship and tenure with clients
- Bachelor’s Degree required. Master’s degree preferred.
- 10-15+ years of cross industry consulting experience in integrated marketing strategy, digital marketing, business case analysis, operating model design and execution, campaign design and measurement strategy
- 5+ years working in a top tier consulting firm and/or CRM agency
- Experience leading and managing cross-functional teams in dynamic, complex, project-driven environments
- Deep knowledge of end-to-end consulting approaches to solve client problems - from planning and design to development and execution of strategy
- Experience with assessing and recommending optimal team and process structures to facilitate integrated program execution (familiarity with the application of agile methodology to marketing a plus)
- Understanding of marketing technologies (AdTech/MarTech etc) to orchestrate and activate customer experiences
- Experience working with and influencing senior levels of the organization
- Strong listening skills to understand clients visible and invisible needs.
- Strong writing, presentation and client facing communication skills. Experience translating data analysis into actionable marketing recommendations and presentations – proficiency in PowerPoint required.
- Proven experience in developing solutions to support the sale of new services to clients
- Superior multi-tasking, networking, time management and inter-personal skills.
- Experience translating data analysis into actionable marketing recommendations and presentations
- Ability to leverage business experience / acumen to identify new business and marketing opportunities.
- Self-starter, high intellectual curiosity, drive, determination, and persuasion skills.
- Thrives in ambiguous, fast-moving environments, and in informal, loosely structured, creative work environments
- Comfort and experience working within a highly matrix-ed organization in roles with a wide degree of latitude
- 20-50% travel required (when safe to travel). Role may be remote but located within the US
- Industry expertise in healthcare marketing and/or pharmaceutical marketing is a plus
- Industry expertise in insurance and wealth management is a plus
Benefits and Perks
Work remotely from home or from one of our many offices within the continental US
- Flexible Vacation Policy
- Generous Medical, Dental and Vision Coverage
- 401k with company match
- 19 paid holidays
- Career development and learning opportunities
- Inclusive work culture and focus on DEI
The anticipated salary range for this position is $165-$179k. Salary is based on a wide range of factors that include relevant experience, knowledge, skills, other job-related qualifications, and geography. A range of medical, dental, vision, 401(k) matching, paid time off, and/or other benefits also are available. For more information regarding dentsu benefits, please visit https://dentsubenefitsplus.com/
Employees from diverse or underrepresented backgrounds encouraged to apply.
Dentsu (the "Company") is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity and will not discriminate against an applicant or employee of the Company, on the basis of age, sex, sexual orientation, race, color, creed, religion, ethnicity, national origin, alienage or citizenship, disability, marital status, veteran or military status, genetic information, or any other legally-recognized protected basis under federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances. Applicants with disabilities may be entitled to reasonable accommodation under the terms of the Americans with Disabilities Act and/or certain state or local laws. A reasonable accommodation is a change in the way things are normally done that will ensure an equal employment opportunity without imposing an undue hardship on the Company. Please contact [email protected] if you need assistance completing any forms or to otherwise participate in the application process or to request or discuss an accommodation in connection with a job at the Company to which you are applying.