Junior Java Developer
We are Merkle, a performance marketing agency which specialises in the delivery of personalised
customer experiences across platforms and devices. We call it ‘people-based’ marketing, and we are proud to be recognised as an industry leader.
Our head office is in Columbia, Maryland and our expansion in Europe started in 2015 with the acquisition of three European companies: Persicopix, DBG and Comet. In 2016, we joined the Dentsu Aegis Network, one of the world’s biggest Global media companies.
Merkle’s heritage in data, technology and analytics is the foundation for our understanding of consumer insights that drives our people-based marketing strategies. With our expertise, we can offer our clients content-driven, contextual and compelling customer journeys and experiences that drive business growth.
The last twelve months have been a whirlwind of pitch wins, new hires and expansion for Merkle in Europe; we have made several new acquisitions, secured new premises in London and have attracted renowned experts to diversify our offering.
It’s an exciting time to be joining the company; we have no plans to slow down! We take great pride in our company values and culture; we regularly host socials and strive to create a working environment where our employees enjoy coming into work.
Come be a part of our professional, collaborative, and fun work environment, where everyone gets to make a difference. We’re looking for ambitious and enthusiastic individuals that have recently graduated in Computing Engineering or similar and are looking to start their career as Java Developers.
As a Java Developer, you will be part of a cross-functional development team using agile methodologies. Here at Merkle Barcelona, we take agile very seriously: we started to work using Scrum 6 years ago so we have plenty of experience implementing it with excellent results
So not only you will learn programming best practise but also will learn agile methodologies and the values and behaviours needed to create high performance teams.
As part of a development team, you will also be responsible for making sure that all software that our projects deliver is of the highest possible quality, that includes interaction with senior developers, QA and designers
As part of our Java Graduate Scheme, we’ll give you all the training and mentoring needed to become a full-stack Java Developer, learning both frontend and backend technologies. We’ll do this using both formal and on-the-job training, shadowing other Developers working on a variety of projects. The aim is before two years to become a fully-fledged Full stack Java Consultant, but chances are you achieve this much sooner. Full support and guidance are given by your line manager and our HR team.
As a Java trainee you will:
- Be part of a Scrum development team in Barcelona, so you will not only learn about Scrum framework but also the behaviours and values that make a great team
- Work with senior developers, so you will learn a lot!
- Be responsible to develop software (both backend and frontend)
- Interact with QA in the teams to make sure everybody understands what we have to deliver and that all new functionality is covered with tests
Life at the Merkle Java Graduate Scheme
- We have a fantastic training and mentoring programme in place to help you get up to speed with what we do, learn how everything works, and to prepare you to be an exceptional Java developer
- You will be directly working with a portfolio of international clients in a wide range of sectors
- During the graduate programme you will have the opportunity to see different types of Java development projects
- We will regularly evaluate your performance and adjust training needs as necessary
What we’re looking for
- You’re a recent graduate and hold an IT-related university degree (Bachelor or Master)
- You’re interested in creating good quality software
- You’re interested in an agile environment
- You’ve got intellectual curiosity and ambition
- You’re a great team player but are also able to work autonomously
- Good English is essential as most of our communication takes place in English
- You’re an EU citizen or have an EU work permit
- You’re able and willing to occasionally travel to client sites or other Merkle offices throughout Europe
Salary and benefits
- Attractive and competitive salary
- Spanish/English lessons and free coffee and fruit
- Free life and health insurance
- Great career progression opportunities
- Opportunities for personal growth & professional development
- Career development through Merkle University (which includes access to Linkedin Learning and Skillsoft)
- Merkle Benefits Club
- Great friendly and international environment
Merkle does not discriminate against job applicants on the basis of age, disability, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, pregnancy or maternity, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation. Experience stipulated in this job description serves as a guide only and all applications will be considered on their merits, irrespective of experience. At the point of application, the candidate must have the legal right to work in Spain as we are unable to sponsor visas at this time.
As part of our Diversity and Inclusion agenda, and as an Equal Opportunities employer, if you require reasonable adjustments during the selection process please engage directly with your Recruiter.
Graduate Opportunities: Whether you're still studying, recently graduated or are already working and fancy a career hop, we could have a perfect opportunity for you.
Experienced Hires: Leverage your expertise, challenge the status quo and grow your career at Merkle.