Creative Director- Retail Media Network
Merkle is a leading data-driven, technology-enabled, global performance marketing agency that specializes in the delivery of unique, personalized customer experiences across platforms and devices. For more than 30 years, Fortune 1000 companies and leading nonprofit organizations have partnered with Merkle to maximize the value of their customer portfolios. The agency’s heritage in data, technology, and analytics forms the foundation for its unmatched skills in understanding consumer insights that drive people-based marketing strategies. Its combined strengths in performance media, customer experience, customer relationship management, loyalty, and enterprise marketing technology drive improved marketing results and competitive advantage. With 9,600+ employees, Merkle is headquartered in Columbia, Maryland, with 50+ additional offices throughout the US, EMEA, and APAC. In 2016, the agency joined the Dentsu Aegis Network. For more information, contact Merkle at 1-877-9-Merkle or visit www.merkleinc.com.
A creative director is responsible for successfully leading their team. They must help guide strategy as well as oversee the conceptual development, copy and design of a client(s) digital, social, video and print direct response products. They are responsible for every area of execution, must take ownership of their team’s projects and anticipate impact. The creative director must inspire and develop work that is conceptually rich and performance-driven to achieve marketing/strategic goals, while satisfy branding requirements of individual clients.
- Develop consistently superior creative content to support a retail media network.
- Know how to apply direct marketing principles and best practices to a variety of channels — including display, paid social, email, landing pages, video, print and direct mail — to drive response.
- Be a strong strategic thinker who is capable of partnering with other leads to set a solid foundation from which great creative work can take shape.
- Understand and implement a client's key strategic initiatives.
- Be a strong, flexible, courageous writer and idea generator who can tackle the basics and also bring high-level concepts to the table when required.
- Positively impact creative design, even though main background is in writing.
- Have basic knowledge in direct response, including testing strategies, versioning and analytics.
- Show leadership in creating and executing fresh, innovative concepts that enhance response strategies and achieve objectives.
- Guide the creative and account teams through creative conception, execution of concepts and departmental processes.
- Leverage direct response best practices to help our clients reach their strategic and targeting goals.
- Be a strong, persuasive presenter who can lead client meetings and other events.
- Ensure the development of consistently superior visual and messaging marketing materials that support marketing strategies and projects.
- Be a problem solver who is flexible and seeks out workable solutions in a timely manner.
- Develop, present and help sell creative concepts to clients. Communicate creative rationale to clients, defend the work and articulate reasons behind each choice.
- Work with client teams to move their agenda forward and provide solutions
- Understand clients’ brand essentials and how to successfully apply their unique standards to projects.
- Have moderate understanding of print and digital production.
- Have a moderate understanding of agency finances and how to manage them/manage to the team’s direct financial goals.
- Lead and inspire a team so employees stay motivated and desire professional growth.
- Manage and mentor creative staff and freelancers to ensure their work meets the agency standards, including the ability to clearly articulate feedback and provide constructive oversite that elevates the creative product.
- Collaborate with Account Executives and other team members to identify questions and pertinent project information needed to execute assignments.
- Know all pertinent industry, client, and product information, such as offer description, product features, product functionality, customer benefits, brand standards, production specifications, postage information, etc.
- Meet all timelines and deliver executions for the Group Creative director, account staff and client review per project schedules.
- Ensure the timely development and execution of plans, campaigns and projects to assure earnings, growth, and profit goals are achieved.
- Work with Senior Team members as needed to establish new strategic and creative tools and solutions to support the overall growth of the company.
- Stay current on knowledge of emerging trends and technologies and the ability to institute best practices for traditional and digital marketing products.
Key Skills and Experience
- Proven ability to mentor and inspire other Creatives by leading creative conception and project execution through a variety of communication channles.
- Skilled in strategic and creative leadership for both internal teams and clients.
- Broad understanding of typography, color theory, current design and advertising trends.
- Superior strategic thinking and creative and presentation skills.
- Ability to meet aggressive deadlines and juggle multiple priorities.
- Self-motivation and a positive interaction with a wide range of individuals is expected.
- Knowledge of principles and practices for all communication channels.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience in graphic design, advertising, communications or ad school.
- 10+ years of professional experience in design/art direction along with experience managing teams.
- 4+ years managing creative services in a direct marketing agency or a combination of agency/vendor side experience.
- 5+ years Media creative experience.
- Proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite; must be highly skilled in Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign.
- Moderate knowledge of Sketch and Microsoft Office.
- Extensive knowledge of digital display, video, paid social and web site technologies, development methods and user experience.
- Strong understanding of web usability, technologies and development methods along with some knowledge of print.
- Experience in retail copywriting and design.
- Strong corporate identity and branding experience.
- Excellent client service and presentation skills.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.