EMEA Diversity Equity & Inclusion Director
Merkle is a leading data-driven, technology-enabled, global performance marketing agency that specialises in the delivery of unique, personalised customer experiences across platforms and devices. We call it ‘people-based’ marketing, and with over 25 years’ experience, we are proud to be recognised as a Global leader.
Merkle’s heritage in data, technology and analytics is the foundation for our understanding of consumer insights that drives our people-based marketing strategies. With our expertise, we can offer our clients content-driven, contextual and compelling customer journeys and experiences that drive business growth.
Starting in 2022 - The Customer Experience Management (CXM) - DEI Director EMEA will lead all efforts to further refine and achieve diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) strategies and initiatives within Dentsu International for the CXM Line of Business in our EMEA markets. The role will be based in the United Kingdom (UK). You will accomplish this by working with the CXM EMEA President and CXM EMEA Chief Human Resources Officer (CHRO) and the executive team and the EMEA dentsu International Chief Equity Officer in shaping and leading transformational DEI efforts and aligning them to our strategy. The DEI strategy includes all human capital practices associated with the workforce, culture, corporate social responsibility, marketing, supply chain and clients. It also includes promoting and managing the internal and external relationships necessary to bring our Line of Business commitment to (DEI) both inside and outside the organisation.
This Director will sit on our EMEA CXM Executive Committee – and report to the EMEA CXM President from a business perspective. As in all matrix environments – there will be additional functional reporting and supporting relationships, in this case – primarily to Chiefs of HR and Equity for EMEA.
Strategy - You will help set the DEI vision by managing the overall design and execution of an organisational strategy that fosters a meaningful dialogue and message. We are committed to building a diverse population with a healthy, vibrant culture, enabling every employee to do great work, build a phenomenal career and feel they belong. The message will underscore the positive impact a culture of (DEI) can have by building excitement, creating momentum and influencing behaviours based on empirical data, research and metrics.
Execution – You will participate in transforming operational approaches to get results. You will work with the HR teams and the Regional Chief Equity Officer to manage the development and adoption of a comprehensive (DEI) strategy that addresses our daily processes. You will help redesign 'how we do things' to weave the necessity and accommodation for increased diversity into our daily people processes.
Advocate – You will provide thought leadership and education to our organisation by continually advocating for efforts to support a diverse workforce, creating methods of connection, integration, and seamless interaction across our businesses. You will provide business acumen, sound judgment and professionalism in counselling and influencing executive-level stakeholders in a wide range of (DEI) initiatives while leading the CXM EMEA Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Advisory Council chaired by the CXM EMEA President to achieve its established goals.
Set the bar - We seek someone passionate about building a globally diverse workforce and inclusive culture, strategically curated influence and leadership skills dedicated to improving our Line of Business and the broader organisation.
We want you to lead efforts that 'set the bar' for the rest of the business on what a high performing Line of business does to get to excellence in the diversity of its workforce.
· Create and communicate the future state vision and detailed plans of long and short-term achievable goals with expected outcomes for CXM EMEA by focusing on each of the markets within the EMEA region.
· Align and integrate DEI into a set of balanced scorecards, including establishing clearly defined measures of success, targets and a guide path to get there.
· Work closely with the EMEA CXM CEO, CHRO and other leaders to shape their roles in supporting and executing the DEI strategy both internally and externally and connecting DEI to the overall organisational strategy.
· Consult with and advise senior leadership to assess, plan and implement DEI programs that support the strategy.
· Develop and leverage a wide variety of relationships with key thought leaders at all levels of the organisation to establish sponsorship and credibility for DEI initiatives.
· Partner with colleagues and business leaders regarding talent management (identification and development of diverse talent), succession planning, leadership development and people development, and recruiting to ensure the DEI strategies and programs will strengthen our workforce needed to accomplish our vision, goals and strategies.
· Integrate the DEI strategy and tactics into the culture and employee engagement strategy. Use all elements of the culture to accelerate the DEI plan.
· Understand our client population and assess where there are opportunities to strengthen and improve from a DEI lens. Partner with business leaders to ensure we are well-positioned to serve our diverse populations.
· Provide strategic guidance to the regional diversity pillar teams and foster the development of new pillars to suit the needs of our employees – with market-specific cultural sensitivities.
· Establish external partnerships through councils, conferences, task forces, and professional affiliations to strengthen internal DEI solutions, perceptions, and impact within our organisation and external audiences.
· Promote sponsorship of selected conferences and events that enhance the dentsu brand and reputation as an industry leader who is committed to DEI and seek opportunities to present at identified DEI conferences on behalf of Dentsu and our CXM Line of Business
· Collaborate with Marketing and Communications to develop and deploy our communications and branding to influence participation and perceptions as an employer of choice, committed throughout all levels to DEI.
· Partner with Legal and Compliance to meet local EMEA market requirements (e.g., Equity Plan for Spain) and ensure productive relationships with related regulatory and government agencies to support organisations' efforts to attract under-represented groups.
· Analyse metrics and research on DEI best practices and benchmarks to design and implement initiatives and report on how well Dentsu is performing.
· Develop and manage the EMEA DEI budget allocated for the CXM Line of Business.
· Proven experience with relevant senior-level leaders in a diversity-related role or diversity consulting capacity.
· Experience aligning the value proposition of business strategies with diversity strategies, programmes and practices.
· Experience building programmes, improving leadership capability and knowledge across the organisation to promote an authentic, fair and equitable approach to diverse hiring, belonging and inclusivity.
· Understanding the relevant human capital functions – recruitment, talent management, compensation, leadership development, performance management – and integrating DEI into these functions.
· Comfortable reviewing DEI research and applying principles from relevant research in a business setting.
· Motivated and energised to represent Dentsu and our Line of Business through public speaking engagements internally and externally.
· Comfortable with ambiguity; have the ability to prioritise in a dynamic environment.
· Collaborative problem-solving skills and the ability to work with cross-functional internal and external partners.
· Ability to think conceptually while maintaining a results-driven approach.
· Team leadership, coaching and group facilitation skills.
· Ability to drive large-scale change efforts in well-regarded and admired companies and partner with key stakeholders to gain their commitment and support.
· Communication and presentation skills.
· Unquestionable integrity and the ability to handle sensitive and confidential employee relations matters.
TWELVE TO EIGHTEEN MONTH DELIVERABLES
· Understand the culture and current state and build long-lasting, trusting relationships with key stakeholders within the company.
· Develop a 1-3-year strategy and roadmap inclusive of the workforce, culture, community and provider.
· Create excitement and momentum within the organisation through implementing significant "quick wins" and communication strategies.
· Begin meaningful progress on the execution of the 1-3-year plan.
KEY LEADERSHIP CHARACTERISTICS
Strategic Mindset – Can develop and execute a comprehensive strategy through practical problem solving
Understanding the Business - Knows the business and the mission-critical technical and functional skills needed to do the job; quickly learns new methods and technologies.
Analytical Rigor - Can glean insights and trends from a thorough analysis of data and metrics and communicate them.
Creating New and Different - Can come up with the next breakthrough idea; is creative, a visionary, and can manage innovation; is an influential strategist full of ideas and possibilities; sees multiple futures; has broad interests and knowledge; can create and bring exciting ideas to market; comfortable speculating about alternative futures without all of the data.
Getting Work Done Through Others – Manages people well; gets the most and best out of the people they have; sets and communicates guiding goals; measures accomplishments, holds people accountable, and gives valuable feedback; delegates and develops; keeps people informed; provides coaching for today and the future.
Communicating Effectively - Exceptional communication skills are a must; they can adjust to fit the audience and the message
A few of the benefits
Whether it’s the joy of working with people at the top of their game or the Merkle social calendar, people love working here – and we hope you will too
- Flexible hybrid working with wonderful central London and Manchester office locations
- Career development through Merkle University and other tools; with access to courses, textbooks, mentorship, and external training funding
- Private Medical Insurance, Company Pension, life insurance, and other corporate benefits
- A selection of other benefits includes 3 wellness days, birthday day off and 2 volunteer days.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
At Merkle, a dentsu company, we believe that creating diverse and balanced teams is not just a moral imperative, it is a business imperative. To help our clients reach millions of different people every day, we need our people to reflect the society that we represent.
We aim to create an inclusive culture where all talent thrives, and we champion meaningful progress in diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) for our people, clients and partners.
DEI is firmly embedded into our shared values - the 8 Ways to Never Before - and our Leadership Framework, which applies to all of our people. And our Global DEI Principles reflect our pledge to be an organisation that promotes wellbeing and inclusivity for everyone - regardless of ethnicity, race, sexual orientation, gender (incl. gender identity and gender expression), age, neurodiversity or physical ability.
We are proud of what makes us different and encourage applicants from all different backgrounds to apply to join us. We are always happy to discuss all flexible and agile approached to working and should you have any reasonable adjustment needs arising from a disability or medical condition to fully participate in the recruitment process, please discuss this with our recruitment teams.