Account Director - Media
We are Merkle B2B, one of the biggest and most successful B2B agencies in the world, and further part of the incredible Merkle and Dentsu parent groups. Since our establishment as a global end-to- end, best-in-class B2B agency, we are growing at a rapid and exciting pace. You will be joining a team of over 1,000 B2B specialists globally, acting as agency of record for some of the biggest and most exciting B2B brands in the world where we provide service across our many practice areas, including Media, Creative, Insights and more. But don’t just take our word for it – we’ve recently won The Drum’s Best Large B2B agency award.
At MB2B, we are determined to be the best - and we know that only comes from having the best people on our teams. So, as we progress and develop as a company, you will too. Within our fast- growing network, there’s plenty of opportunity to develop your skillset through market-leading training schemes, including our proprietary Merkle University courses. You’ll be encouraged to be curious, to share new ideas and to be innovative and bold – we believe great ideas should come from everyone in the team. To that end we’re also actively engaged in ensuring DEI is at the heart of what we think, say and do. We work as part of the many pillars within our global and local DEI group - and strongly encourage all of our teams to be actively involved here too.
In exchange for your contribution to our award-winning company, we make sure you’ll find the right work-life balance - mental wellness is incredibly important to us so we ensure everyone takes advantage of their generous holiday allowance as well as several additional Wellness Days each year - additional days off which are enjoyed by everyone within the Dentsu group. We know right now that the ability to work remotely is as important as the ability to come together f2f as a team and agency, so we have enabled each team to build bespoke charters to identify the rhythm and cadence of when it will add value to be in the office collaborating round a table and when it’s useful to work from where suits you – all with the goal of driving success for our clients, our teams and our agency in the smartest ways possible. We’re really proud of our company values and culture, and we want you to feel fully part of that fantastic community, something we celebrate in our regular company and team socials.
The Account Director role is responsible for leading the strategy across key client accounts within their portfolio. Taking a leadership role both of the team and the accounts they are running, they will demonstrate strong account ownership, best-in-class media planning and great team development – all to developing growth within people and accounts.
Leading a team, this role will have a lot of autonomy and take day to day ownership over the P&L for their client set as well as assist with ad hoc new business projects. Together with the team they will drive innovative and ambitious solutions which deliver material business value to clients, across a portfolio of accounts and be responsible for the financial management of all campaign activity within the team.
The Key Responsibilities
· Own relationships with mid-level clients on a day-to-day basis and build strong relationships as a trusted advisor with clients and industry stakeholders
· Lead a portfolio of clients with responsibility for management of the revenue generated by those clients
· Deepen the relationship to ensure retention and growth
· Acting in partnership with key clients this role will oversee and manage campaigns, including oversight and development of strategy
· Delivering a dynamic presence in presentations and other forms of client communication
· Supporting, training and mentoring the Account Managers and Executives in delivering all campaign planning and implementation
· Managing the team’s training schedule for both internal & external training opportunities
· Responsible for understanding account profitability, scoping and staffing, and assisting with account forecasting
· Drafting all Scope of Work documents for account campaigns and projects
· Be a part of internal MB2B reporting & analytics conversations, making recommendations of new technologies/abilities which could be relevant for the MB2B tech stack
· Lead senior vendor relationships, understanding of all associated rates and margin, negotiate preferred rates, and maintain a partnership role in testing/access to new products and capabilities
· Link insights to recommendations, optimisations and expansion of client activity
· Take the initiative for assisting the management team with wider projects as required, including but not limited to MB2B product development, industry positioning, award entries and representing MB2B at external events
· Immerses self and team in clients’ business: understanding their challenges, objectives, external economic environment, markets they operate in, competitive threats and relevant partner agencies; knows their business model, how it is performing and what success looks like; knows client’s products inside out and applies this knowledge to deliver innovative, ambitious client plans and service
· Improves client satisfaction to expand existing revenue streams and build new ones
· Use knowledge of MB2B (and Dentsu) capabilities to influence and contribute to innovative, ambitious and value driven solutions
· Involvement in agency pitch teams as part of on-going business development.
The Key Behaviours
· Takes on challenging projects/problems and creates plans that get things moving
· Holds others accountable to meeting high standards, does not let deadlines slip
· Stays calm & helps the team navigate significant change/frustration
· Finds the right balance of constructive challenge and adaptation when faced with opposition (be that driven by clients, team or leadership)
· Steps back from current problems to see future implications to avoid risk & benefit from opps
· Asks the non-obvious questions to get at underlying issues
· Looks across MB2B & Dentsu to find the right people to deliver against client needs
· Sets clear direction for the team, focuses them not just on today but on longer-term plans
· Develops people to ensure they can deliver (technical training, client servicing, team leadership)
· Gives balanced feedback and recognition
· Delegates appropriately and does not try to do everything themselves
· Demonstrates how an account strategy will impact commercial results for client, MB2B & Dentsu
· Sets realistic forecasts and spots opportunities for cross-selling
· Sees patterns in data, understand what it means and translate into action plans
· Knows who their broader stakeholder group are and ensures they are kept informed
· Creates helpful client proposals on a range of topics, not just their own brand / area / expertise
· Understands client’s marketing strategy and objectives, how all the op-cos can help deliver that and is able to represent them to the client
The Key Skills & Experience
· Good all-round client service experience
· Experience of leading at least a medium-sized client/team
· Strong media planning experience & ideally good sector/B2B experience
· Experience of at least two functions including digital
· Commercial acumen
· Maintain strong relationships with the media owner and partner community
· Good overall knowledge of MB2B (and Dentsu) products and services
A few of the benefits
Whether it’s the joy of working with people at the top of their game or the Merkle social calendar, people love working here – and we hope you will too
- Career development through Merkle University and other tools; with access to courses, textbooks and mentorship
- Private Medical Insurance, Company Pension, life insurance and other corporate benefits
- 3 Wellness day
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
At Merkle, a dentsu company, we believe that creating diverse and balanced teams is not just a moral imperative, it is a business imperative. To help our clients reach millions of different people every day, we need our people to reflect the society that we represent.
We aim to create an inclusive culture where all talent thrives, and we champion meaningful progress in diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) for our people, clients and partners.
DEI is firmly embedded into our shared values - the 8 Ways to Never Before - and our Leadership Framework, which applies to all of our people. And our Global DEI Principles reflect our pledge to be an organisation that promotes wellbeing and inclusivity for everyone - regardless of ethnicity, race, sexual orientation, gender (incl. gender identity and gender expression), age, neurodiversity or physical ability.
We are proud of what makes us different and encourage applicants from all different backgrounds to apply to join us. We are always happy to discuss all flexible and agile approached to working and should you have any reasonable adjustment needs arising from a disability or medical condition to fully participate in the recruitment process, please discuss this with our recruitment teams.