Senior Data Engineer
We Dream. We Do. We Deliver.
As a full-service, data-driven customer experience transformation agency, we partner with Top 500 companies in the DACH region and in Eastern Europe. Originally from Switzerland, Merkle DACH was created out of merger of Namics and Isobar - two leading full-service digital agencies.
Our 1200+ digital enthusiasts are innovating the way brands are built, through providing expertise in digital transformation strategy, MarTech platforms, creativity, UX, CRM, data, commerce, mobile, social Media, intranet and CMS. We are part of the global Merkle brand, the largest brand within the Dentsu group, who shares with us a network of over 66,000 passionate individuals in 146 countries.
We are looking for a savvy data engineer to join our team of data heroes. You will be responsible for designing and building big data architecture pipelines for data lakehouses in cloud, as well as optimizing and productionizing machine learning and predictive models. The ideal candidate is an experienced software engineer and data wrangler who enjoys building complex platforms from the ground up, using the latest technologies in cloud. You will cooperate with data architects and data scientists on large data projects for the biggest international brands, as well as build an internal platform framework to ensure consistent & optimal delivery. You should be a versatile self-starter eager to roll out next-gen data architectures, comfortable supporting multiple technologies/teams/solutions/clients, and also a great team player able to work within our international team with a positive, startup-minded attitude.
- Design and implement data ingestion and processing of various data sources using public cloud (MS Azure, AWS, GCP) big data technologies like Databricks, AWS Glue, Azure DataFactory, Redshift, Kafka, Azure Event Hubs, AWS Step Functions, AWS Lambda, Azure Functions etc.
- Collaborate with Business Intelligence consultants and assemble large and complex data sets that meet functional / non-functional business requirements for data lakehouse.
- Support data scientist / analyst teams in deployment and optimization of AI / Machine Learning models and other data algorithms in services like AWS SageMaker or Azure ML.
- Develop data pipelines to provide actionable insights into marketing automation, customer acquisition and other key businesses areas.
- Develop DevOps automation of continuous development / test / deployment processes.
- Document implemented data pipelines and logic in a structured manner using Confluence, plan your activities using Agile methodology in Jira.
- Work with stakeholders to assist with data-related technical issues and support their data infrastructure needs, like optimizing existing data delivery, re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability, etc.
- Support pre-sales by proposing technical solution and accurate effort estimate
- Experience in building and productionizing big data architectures, pipelines and data sets.
- Understanding data concepts and patterns of big data, data lake, lambda architecture, stream processing, DWH, BI & reporting.
- 2+ years of experience in a Data Engineer role, who has attained experience using the following software/tools:
- Experience with big data tools like Hadoop, Spark, Kafka, etc.
- Experience with object-oriented / functional / scripting languages like Python, Scala, Java, R, C++, Bash, PowerShell etc.
- Experience with MS Azure (Databricks, Data Factory, Data Lake, Azure SQL, Event Hub, etc.) or AWS (Glue, EC2, EMR, RDS, Redshift, Sagemaker, etc.) cloud services.
- Implementing large-scale data/events oriented pipelines/workflows using ETL tools.
- Extensive working experience with relational (MS SQL, Oracle, Postgres, Snowflake, etc.) and NoSQL databases (Cassandra, MongoDB, Elasticsearch, Redis, etc.)
- Strong analytic skills related to working with structured and unstructured datasets.
- Build processes supporting data transformation, data structures, metadata, dependency and workload management.
- Experience in setting up and using CI/CD automation tools like Azure DevOps, AWS CodePipeline, etc.
- Person who is precise, well organized, has good communication skill, can adapt to changing circumstances and is not afraid of responsibility for his / her work will do great in this role.
- Deep hands-on development experience in MS Azure or AWS environments
- Past experience in delivery of business intelligence projects, using tools like Power BI, Tableau, Qlik Sense, Keboola…
- Working knowledge of message queuing, stream processing, and highly scalable real-time data processing using technologies like Storm, Spark-Streaming, etc.
- Experience with data pipeline / workflow management tools like AWS Glue, Azure Data Factory, Airflow, AWS Step Functions, NiFi, etc.
Why you should work with us?!
- We are cooperating with an all types and sizes of clients from all around the world which allows us to provide a very diverse portfolio of projects and technologies to choose from to our people.
- You will be part of a startup-minded branch of a company with a very strong and stable background of the Swiss/Germany headquarters.
- Your contributions will have a distinct impact on our clients.
We work with highly motivated people, who support and enrich each other. We live the possibilities of the digital world through home office, meaning you can work anywhere with flexible (annual) working hours. We also value face-to-face exchanges - coffee or tea, biscuits or fruit are all welcomed on board and shared throughout our offices.
If you ever feel the need to take a break from the digital world, we love to get hands on together and use pens, paper, and whiteboards for brainstorming sessions. Need to clear your head? Hit the foosball table, PlayStation, massage bench or yoga mat. For networking and (brain) food, we offer regular exchange formats, like meetings, tech labs and more. Not enough? We are full believers in education and support training, whether it be internally or externally. We support you.
If you feel inspired by us, we’ll probably be inspired by you. Join us now and apply online to make sure we match each other’s expectations. We value diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment. We welcome all qualified candidates - regardless of your gender or background, please indicate your salary expectations and possible entry date. We look forward to hearing from you!
Personal consultancies - we only work with selected partners.
Senior Talent Acquisition Business Partner
Phone: +381 69 789 039