Senior Software Developer
Merkle is a leading data-driven, technology-enabled, global performance marketing agency that specialises in the delivery of unique, personalised customer experiences across platforms and devices. We call it ‘people-based’ marketing, and with over 25 years’ experience, we are proud to be recognised as a global leader.
Merkle’s heritage in data, technology and analytics is the foundation for our understanding of consumer insights that drives our people-based marketing strategies. Combined with our expertise in performance creative and media, we can then offer our clients content-driven, contextual and compelling customer experiences that drive business growth.
In 2016, the agency joined dentsu, one of the world’s biggest media companies to form the Customer Experience Management (CXM) Line of Business.
Over the last two years, Merkle, a Dentsu company, has invested in our digital media technology proposition by growing our internal product development team. We are now looking for a Senior Software Developer to join our growing team, as we continue to build out our innovative product and scale it globally across the Dentsu network.
First launched in 2020, our industry-leading digital marketing technology platform helps our clients run efficient and effective advertising campaigns across Google, Meta and other digital properties. We’re a small but growing team, so there’s plenty of scope to get involved across the software development lifecycle beyond just coding, from architecture and design, DevOps, through to code reviews, and coaching more junior team members.
We’re a cloud-first team, with our product built entirely in the Google Cloud Platform, using the following languages, frameworks and technologies:
- C# and NodeJS (TypeScript) for backend services
- ReactJS for frontend development
- MySQL, Google Firestore, Google BigQuery and Google Cloud Storage Buckets for data storage
- PubSub, Cloud Tasks and Cloud Scheduler for task and event management
- Hosting: Cloud Run (with Docker), App Engine, Cloud Functions
- Testing : XUnit (C#), Mocha & Chai (TypeScript), Cypress (frontend)
This is a full-stack team, with everyone working across both frontend and backend, and a big emphasis on autonomy – we encourage everyone to get involved across the development lifecycle to further their own personal development. We’re looking for someone with experience working in a multi-disciplinary developer team, to join the team and work across the entire product. This could be a developer looking to take the next step up to become a senior, or a current senior developer looking for a smaller, dynamic team to work in, taking ownership of a product as one of the more senior members of the team.
Working closely with the product manager, product director and the rest of the development team, they’ll ensure we design and build the platform in a robust and scalable way, to deliver the best service for our clients, which include some of the biggest advertisers in the world.
Dentsu has adopted a hybrid working policy, including the flexibility to work from home or in the office depending on individual and team preference. Our developer team currently works primarily from home, with most of the team coming in once a fortnight to attend sprint planning in person.
Life as a Developer at Merkle
- Software development lifecycle. You’ll work across the development lifecycle, overseeing solution design, ensuring code reviews are conducted and the platform is built in a robust way
- Coding. You’ll actively contribute to the codebase, writing clean, logical, and structured code, setting an example for the rest of the team
- Exposure to world-leading partners. Due to the nature of our industry, we work closely with some of the largest tech companies in the world, including Google and Facebook. There are opportunities to work directly with developers from these companies, attend hackathons and other developer training sessions delivered by our advertising partners
- Personal development. We place a big emphasis on personal development – every Friday afternoon is set aside as individual personal development time. We also fund professional qualifications such as Google Cloud professional certification, Facebook Marketing Developer qualifications and Scrum Alliance qualifications
The ideal candidate will have:
- Several years’ experience as a software developer
- Experience with SQL
- Experience with Cloud-based development and DevOps is preferable
- Experience working on solution design & architecture is preferable
- Experience reviewing code and coaching/mentoring more junior team members
As we progress and develop as a company, you will too. Within our fast-growing company, there’s plenty of opportunity to develop your skill set and you’ll be encouraged to be curious and share new ideas. In exchange for your contribution to our award-winning company, we make sure you take advantage of a generous holiday allowance and are paid a competitive salary. We’re really proud of our company values and culture; we have regular company / team socials and want all our employees to enjoy coming into work. Some of our benefits include:
- Friendly, approachable office atmosphere for those choosing to work in the office
- Hybrid working with flexibility to work from home or in the office
- Private Medical Insurance, Company Pension, life insurance and other corporate benefits
- Regular company socials (including bowling, Crystal Maze, quiz nights, annual Christmas and Summer parties to name a few!)
- On Friday’s at 4:30pm (Four Thirsty) everyone can help themselves to a celebratory drink
- Cycle2Work scheme, free eye tests, and season ticket loans (post 3-month probation)