Building an AWS Data Platform to Inform Intelligent Marketing for a Large Nonprofit
After implementing a well performing marketing data platform on AWS to ingest and process multiple data streams, a Large National Nonprofit organization wanted to own its data platform and gain additional insights into the data load management. Merkle re-architected the Nonprofit’s data platform from a managed service provider’s AWS environment to their own for full ownership while modernizing the platform to provide full visibility and traceability to the various sources of data that were being loaded, utilizing Informatica, Redshift, and Databricks.
The client team had a wide array of data platforms across multiple environments that were operating in silos. The challenge was that there were multiples instances of the same data sets and even stale data in some cases. Teams were operating in silos and as a result, the integration of data from those silos presented challenges to unify it. The organization needed a central governing oversight into the maintaining of data integrity and redundancy.
Picking the right cloud partner
AWS is a comprehensive and broadly adopted cloud platform, offering over 175 fully featured services from data centers globally. Millions of customers, including fast-growing startups, large enterprises, and leading government agencies use AWS to lower costs, become more agile, and innovate faster. Brands choose AWS for its open, scalable, and cost-effective cloud solutions for enabling real-time analytics and data streaming technology that enable users to ingest, process, and analyze large volumes of data from a variety of sources in real time.
Merkle knows marketing
The Large Nonprofit chose Merkle as its preferred AWS partner due to their existing relationship and Merkle’s 32 years of experience helping top global brands deliver personalized customer experiences based on data-driven, customer-centric strategies. Merkle’s experience lies in the intersection of technology, data, analytics, and partner relationships to deliver experience-based marketing strategies that build enduring customer relationships and drive competitive advantage for its clients.
Solution: Customer owned data platform
Merkle was able to ingest data from various sources and consolidate into a central enterprise platform. They provided a framework to add additional sources and enable business functionalities for business value add/delivery from that platform.
- Migrating from EMR to Informatica ICS, RedShift, and DataBricks
- Enabling full tracking of data load ingestion using IICS
- Creating a metadata framework on RDS to track progress of loads and gain full insight into the data
- Successfully created a scalable data pipeline framework with full visibility, pulling from various sources of data to clean, load, and analyze on a platform fully managed and operated by the client.
- Set framework to consolidate three siloed databases with duplicate data into the new platform
- Allowed the Nonprofit to provide full visibility on a single integrated platform while using best of breed data and analytics tools Achieved a single view of the customer to drive more personalized channel strategies using the client’s first-party data to drive better customer experiences.