Let’s be clear, in today’s ever-changing internet age the eCommerce conversion rate is around one to two per cent and hardly a few out of thousands will buy your products at first sight.
The average conversion rate (% of website visitors who end up completing a transaction) is around 1-2% across different industries and product categories.
That means, per thousand web visitors only ten or eventually, fifteen to twenty will buy your product.
That’s not going to help you meet your online sales goals.
In this article, we will show how you can improve your eCommerce website’s conversion rate.
But before we start with CRO strategies for your e-commerce start-up, let’s understand what exactly CRO is, and what are the benefits of investing in it.
What is CRO?
Conversion rate optimization (CRO) is the practice of increasing the percentage of users who perform sales or the desired action on a website. eCommerce CRO can be done by using a variety of strategies including optimizing the checkout process, improving your product pages, etc.
3 Main Benefits of Investing in Conversion Rate Optimization
- It helps to improve the bottom line
- CRO improves the sales and efficiency of multiple marketing channels.
- Saves cost & empowers your marketing
Sample Case study as anyone in eCommerce can attest to, it can be disheartening when a major influx in traffic doesn’t lead to an equally major spike in sales.
“If an XYZ brand’s website had been seeing hundreds of thousands of visitors each month—but its conversion rate was terrible. The problem was even worse on mobile, where the conversion rate was less than half that of its desktop alternative”.
In this case, your brand website is getting hundreds of thousands of visitors each month and your website isn’t having a proper CTA and USP, then you lose the chance to convert these visitors to customers. If the website design is desktop-oriented then you will notice the mobile conversion rate is comparatively lower than the desktop.
Need a more specific Solution? Check out the below-listed pointers to know more about the possible solutions for your e-commerce conversion rate problem.
To Attract More Sales, You Should Follow These Key Points:
- Adding Free Shipping Options.
- Adding Product Availability prominently within its individual product pages.
- Focusing on Mobile friendly website design & Mobile-first Indexing.
- Making USP more visible to consumers.
- Focusing on proper keywords to target the exact intended audience.
- Writing High-quality Titles to increase the Click Through Rate (More CTR = More Conversion Rate).
- Adding Easy Interactive CTAs for Mobile.
- Adding Testimonials on every product page.
- Increasing website speed for mobile devices to avoid the bounce rate.
- Get Creative with Free Shipping Offers. (Add in PDP highlights to increase conversion rate)
- Focus experiments on content above the fold.
- Highlight free shipping and returns
- Adding customer story/review videos/unboxing videos on product page
- Write blogs (product hacks) to attract more visitors
Key Points to Increase Conversion Rate / Convert Website Visitors into Customers
- Proper Landing page
- Attention-grabbing headlines
- Call to action
- Lead magnet
- Use Content upgrade with search intent
- Engagement through email
- The Art of Retargeting
- Facebook retargeting ads
- Diversifying Ad Types
- Free shipping
- Focus on high-converting channels
- Email Capture
- Collect pre-orders for out-of-stock items
- Load speed
- Easy navigation
- Quality photography
- Quality content
- Be a brand
- Social proof
- Free returns
- Related products
- Lifestyle images
- Loyalty program
- Mission / social cause
- Live chat
- NO-EXPIRY CART
- Easy discounts
- Simplify Your Checkout Process
- Add Trust Seals
Bonus Tip for eCommerce Startups
Initial Marketing Plan
--> Competitive Analysis
--> DO a Situational Analysis using SWOT
--> Establish Marketing Goals & Business Objectives
--> Growth-Driven Website Design
--> Defining Marketing Strategy
- Segmenting target audience
- Audience segmentation and buyer personas
--> Content Strategy
- Content Calendar
- Social Posting
--> Digital Strategies and Tactics
- Based on your objectives (attraction, conversion, and loyalty), you can carry out different strategies: Email marketing campaigns, social media (Paid & Organic), CRM, Web optimization, SEO strategies, Paid media advertising (PPC), etc.
--> Calculate the digital marketing plan budget / Paid Media Budget
--> Measuring Results & KPIs
- You must measure every action using KPIs to figure out if you earned the expected ROI. Measuring the effectiveness of the strategies and activities that you have implemented in your digital marketing strategy will help you rectify what doesn’t work to achieve the goals you set.
Building A Customer Journey Map
Step 1: Create Buyer Persona.
Step 2: Select Your Target Customer.
Step 3: List Customer Touchpoints.
Step 4: Identify Customer Actions.
Step 5: Understand Your Available Resources.
Step 6: Analysing the Customer Journey.
Step 7: Take Business Action.
Merkle Can Help You Develop a Highly Optimized E-Commerce website that Attracts More Conversions.
In addition to the above given CRO strategies, Merkle Sokrati can help you to grow your conversion rate & generate more sales by enhancing your e-commerce website’s user interface & experience.
Check out our E-commerce Case Studies and get to know how we can help you grow.